Here is a 5 point checklist to help you along the way
If you have a book that doesn’t fit inside the traditional publishing model you may still have a book that turns a profit, communicates your message, and helps you to build your network.
So here’s a short checklist to help you determine whether or not you should publish your own book:
- Do you know what purpose you want your book to serve?
- Do you know who your audience is? Finding a specific audience is a better sales tool than saying, “everyone will like my book.”
- Have you researched the market to make sure other books of the same type are selling well (or ranking well in search engines and with book distributors)?
- Have you researched the market to make sure that your book is different than other books of a similar type (in a good way)?
- Have you talked to other people about whether they would buy your book – not just family and friends?
If you have positive answers any – or preferably all - of these questions then it’s highly likely that you have a book worth taking through the self-publishing process.